Jump to recipe
This is a recipe that I created out of no where. It isn’t something I was necessarily craving but now that I’ve tasted it and know the nutrient profile in the recipe, I can’t stop making it! I have been making this to eat on its own and to freeze into ice cubes as a nutrient dense broth that you could throw into cooking (ie. cook with your quinoa or add to soups). It will especially come in handy whenever I get sick next and in need of a light comfort food like broth. On top of all that, it’s super simple to make!
Vegan “Chicken Soup” Broth: Just as savoury & high in nutrients
- -900 ml. of plain vegetable broth (home made or store bought)
- -900 ml. filtered water
- -3 large bay leaves
- -2-3 cups of kale chopped finely
- -2 large (or 3-4 small) sweet onions chopped
- -2 cloves of garlic minced
- -1/2 cup of nutritional yeast (this is where the magic happens)
- -3 Tbsp. avocado oil
- -salt and pepper to taste
- -In a large pot, add avocado oil, chopped onions and minced garlic. Cook on medium heat.
- -Once onions have softened, add chopped kale and cook down.
- -Add vegetable broth and water and turn to a boil
- -Add bay leaves, salt and pepper, cook for another 10 minutes.
- -Stir in nutritional yeast
- -Add salt and pepper to your taste preference.
- -Turn down heat to medium and allow to cook for another 15 minutes.
- -Remove bay leaves
- -Use an immersion blender to mince the kale and onions, do not blend for too long which results in a puree.
- -Serve and enjoy!
This soup has been cooked once a week since I first whipped it up and it is so. darn. yummy! Hope you enjoy!